Check out Writersstylus.com for workshop details and dates. The website includes overviews of the course in PDF form.
Kevin Washburn of Clerestory Learning has put together an incredibly cohesive writing instruction professional development course using brain-based research.
I have participated in this writing instruction workshop three times now, and I would take it again in a heart beat. And I would feel like I was learning even more! We are so glad to be hosting it at our school this summer! The dates are July 14-18. Click here for the flyer with more details.
Top 5 Reasons You Need To Attend:
1) Improve Your Own Writing! If we teach writing, we need to know the ins and outs of the craft. This class challenges you to improve your own writing and in one week you will learn more about your own writing than you ever have before.
2) Learn to Teach Writing! We assume it is easy. Show students what to do, then have them do it. But their writing doesn't seem to improve. Why not? This course breaks down how to teach writing so that students comprehend the skills and know how to revise!
3) Bridge the Gap between Grammar and Writing! Grammar is taught in isolation. We never can seem to understand why they don't know how to include a comma in an essay, but they can do it fine on the worksheet. Washburn teaches you how to link the two in a purposeful way and actually teach students how to revise!
4) Learn to be a Writing Coach! We all sit down and conference with students, but it doesn't seem to help. You feel like you have wasted class time. Washburn's approach to formative feedback is an amazing coaching method that with inspire student writers instead of depressing them.
5) Walk away with Materials! When you take this class, you walk away to online access to an entire K-12 writing curriculum that you can pull from. Everything you need to be successful is provided for you. And you don't have to "adopt" a program - you just have access to tons of amazing resources!
These are comments from teachers who took the class last year at my school. Several of them NOT English teachers (Art, Science, Math, History etc) and they loved it!
“Kevin is an excellent model of teaching practice. He is encouraging and supportive and teaches the course using the same structure that he presents to the class.”
“This course was more than just learning how to teach writing. It makes me want to know more about good writing myself. I am inspired to write more and develop my own revision skills and writing style.”
“This course confirms how I feel students should be learning and how they learn best based on brain research! It has taught me to be more purposeful and refreshed my knowledge on many different revision skills.”
“This is the most beneficial, engaging, and interactive professional development I have taken in years!”
“I love how Writer’s Stylus makes clear what is essential in teaching writing and how to teach using research based instruction. It supports what I know to be effective teaching strategies, and it will equip students to be effective writers.”
“This has application across the content areas, not just in English classes. I am so glad I attended as a science teacher!”